PRTC was one of 13 community-based telecommunication companies awarded for their efforts to “make rural hometowns vibrant places in which to live and do business.”
NTCA — Rural Broadband Association, the premier national association representing about 900 independent telecommunications companies in the U.S. and Canada, named PRTC as one of its Smart Rural Community Showcase Award winners.
NTCA Smart Rural Community award recipients were recognized at a gathering in San Francisco of more than 1,000 rural telecom leaders. In addition to receiving international and local recognition for their extraordinary efforts, the selected Smart Rural Communities will join past recipients of awards to formulate “best practices” and assist other rural communities in the implementation of innovative broadband-enabled solutions to drive economic and community strength in rural areas throughout the nation.
“This is truly an honor for PRTC and the entire community we serve,” says Keith Gabbard, chief executive officer at PRTC. “This award is a testament to the vision and hard work our employees exhibit every day to bring the very best service to our community.”
The goal of the NTCA Smart Rural Community initiative is to foster the development of smart communities throughout rural America and Canada by recognizing innovators, highlighting innovative implementation of broadband solutions and identifying resources to assist other broadband providers and connected industries.
NTCA recognized and awarded communities served by its members that embody the title Smart Rural Community. Award winners are recognized for promoting access to next-generation applications and platforms such as distance learning, telehealth services, public safety and security.
For more information about the initiative, visit www.ntca.org/smart.
Other broadband providers awarded include:
- Copper Valley Telecom — Valdez, Alaska
- Consolidated Telecommunications — Brainerd, Minn.
- FTC — Kingstree, S.C.
- HuronTel — Ripley, Ontario
- North Central Telephone Cooperative — Lafayette, Tenn.
- Premier Communications — Sioux Center, Iowa
- Solarus — Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
- Triangle Communications — Havre, Mont.
- Tri-County Communications Cooperative — Strum, Wis.
- Twin Valley Telephone Co. — Miltonvale, Kan.
- Vernon Telephone Cooperative — Westby, Wis.
- Waitsfield and Champlain Valley Telecom — Waitsfield, Vt.